Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Tom is out of town today and tomorrow at a preacher's overnight thing. The kids and I got up and it was raining, so I took Rocky on a quick walk and we fed the beasts, lol.(Lest you worry about the poor guy, the sun came out about 11 am and he got his usual, longer walk).

After breakfast we studied the chemistry behind why the leaves change~chlorophyll and other chemical reactions. I had no idea that the orange, red, yellow, or brown colors are always "there" , so to speak~they're just masked by the green chlorophyll. The kids found it very interesting that the trees need to convert things to sugar to function. "See, mom~everyone loves sugar." Typical kids!!!

We also learned that the leaves are their prettiest when the fall days are sunny and dry, and the nights are cool and dry. Well, if that continues to be the case here as fall progresses, we should have some pretty leaves.

The kids all painted some trees and leaves, even Wes. It's fun to see how differently the interpreted the project. And I love that Wes gets to do things that he couldn't in school~and doesn't think he's too old for them.

We also discussed paragraph topic sentences and all three had to write about "My most embarrassing moment." Pretty funny stuff.

This afternoon Maddie and Tyler and I went to piano. It was Ty's first lesson and the piano teacher was really impressed~she says he seems to have a good grasp of things already. He practiced before and after the lesson, so I think he'll like it.

We also had to run errands to the Bread Thrift store, library, etc. We're getting ready to leave for our church dinner and program~at least I don't have to cook while Tom is gone.

Today I was reading about the importance of obedience. This is a topic God is dealing with me on as Tom preached on it during Sunday's sermon, and the UMW meeting discussed it last night. So, I leave you with this thought, that speaks volumes to me: If we are to be faithful with much, we must be faithful with what we have...and right where we are. In the words a Steve Green song, "Oh may all who come behind us find us faithful." Especially my family, Lord.

Today's workout: The Firm Maximum Body Shaping
PM Workout: Yoga for Stress Relief, Tight Hip section

No comments:

Post a Comment