Thursday, September 2, 2010

Today was more math, math, math! Tyler is really getting to enjoy math, which is such a blessing, as he started the year saying he hated it. I am getting a lot of my curriculum ideas from Everythinghomeschooling.com this year and have found some books, games, websites, etc. that he simply loves. Today I got up later than usual since the dog kept me up last night and he was doing math problems from a library book. It was a bunch of problems related to a dog named Fred and it was hilarious!!

We also spent time reading poems this morning. We read a Shel Silverstein poem "Where the Sidewalk Ends" and then they each wrote poems about sidewalks. They were so funny and I think they enjoyed seeing how creative they could be.

After this, it was more math with some games the kids created. Wes and Tyler love playing Pass the Pigs and some crazy math-frenzied poker game with dice. Maddie and Tyler played Monopoly for an hour this aftrenoon, and then were looking into mortages and trying to figure out the best strategies to win the game.

Since their regular seat work was done, and I'd worked out, all three started bugging me to go to Happy Hour! It sounds so wrong, doesn't it? Our Long John Silvers has half price lemonade slushies from 2-5 and they call it Happy Hour. Anyway, when we got there the gal rang up our order at full price. She had NO IDEA what half of $1.79 would be and then told me, "I'm not good at math but am good with money~can you figure this out??" Now, I'm not a genius but how can you be "good at" money but not math, lol? The kids had a clear idea of why a basic knowledge of computation is so important.

Now tonight, Wes and I are excited to watch the start of College Football, the official religion of the South!! I'm grateful for kids who are excited about math, poetry, and football! Thanks God, for the small things I get to share each day with these children you blessed me with.

Today's Workout: The Firm Wave: Speed Slimming Sculpt; Rock Solid Abs
PM Yoga workout: 10 Minute solution Yoga Relaxation and
Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment