Tuesday, October 19, 2010

I've really enjoyed using these fall colors for a bit!  The gold, orange, etc. make it feel like fall to me. It feels like fall in the mornings but has been in the mid-80s in the afternoon.  But tomorrow the high is supposed to be 75, that's more autumnal.

Today I slept in because of my cold.  I definitely felt better so I got Rocky out and we went walking. We saw three does crossing the road and I'm convinced they're the same ones we saw last week, they must be living in our subdivision!

I took the kids out for breakfast and we had a lovely time. We'd not gone out like that in forever so it was a good way to spend some of my "mad" money this week.

When we got home, the kids did their math and other seat work.  Mary Madison and Wes began working on their Abraham Lincoln biographies and did really good jobs. Maddie said that from studying Lincoln she learned to follow her dreams.  Wes said he learned to state his opinion~and he really has a hard time with that, so the lesson was worthwhile.

During lunch we watched something I'd recorded from the Travel Channel.  Extreme Rides.  It discussed the most extreme roller coasters and rides throughout the United States, and one in Canada.  I thought it would just be fun but the kids got into seeing all about centrifugal force, Gs, weightlessness, etc.  The program did include some very informative lessons on how they made the coasters.

Tyler spent part of the afternoon playing chess with Wes.  He has a neat chess set with papers that tell you how to set up the board and give suggestions for how to counter moves, etc. He spent a good part of his free time working through that.  I can see that this winter I need to take advantage of the chess lessons offered through the homeschool group for the two of them.

Today I've been reflecting on what it means to "let the Words of Christ dwell richly in you" from Colossians. So often, my mind just wanders when my hands are busy or I'm resting.  How incredible would it be to discipline my mind so that I can meditate on his law day and night, as it states in Psalm 119?  I'm going to try to sneak more of that into my life. How about you?

Today's workout:  Kelly Coffey-Meyer 30 Minutes to Fitness Cardio Blast, Athletic Step section

No comments:

Post a Comment