Wednesday, October 27, 2010

God seems to be hitting me with a theme lesson this week, so I thought I'd share.  In Sunday School, we studied how different denominations need to work together in spite of differences that aren't vital to walking with God.  The problem is, however, what seems insignificant to me (i.e. the method of baptism) may not be to someone else.

Yesterday we went on a field trip to Chattanooga to see the replicas of the Nina and Pinta from Christopher Columbus' voyages.  In learning how a ship works and the history of Columbus' life, it was fascinating to see how he lived.  But one thing caught my attention and that was how the Pope put a bounty on Columbus for saying he'd proved the world wasn't flat~since that went against church "doctrine."  And yet Columbus himself said he believed in God. 

Today I was cleaning the house for a visit from my parents this weekend for my daughter's upcoming 13th birthday.  (How did THAT happen????)  And, by the way, the kids have helped a lot.  What is the difference between good enough and perfection?  When is it good enough so that I don't drive my family crazy and forget to enjoy these days we have together?  (By the way, I think cleaning and cooking are a consequence of the curse given as sin entered the world so I'll never have a perfect house anyway~I'm just not good at it).

So, what do you require of us, God?  To major on the things of the Spirit that are eternal and of value.  To do those things that change lives, not cause bickering and division.  Back again to Sunday School, and Micah 6:8:  "  And what does God require of you, o man, ...but to do justice, and love mercy, and walk humbly with your God." 

Lord, my kids may never remember if my house was perfect when Grammy and Gramps came.  They will remember if I treated them well while making it a warm place for their grandparents.  My kids may never remember all the details of the trip to see the Nina and Pinta.  But I bet they remember their dad being generous with a tip for the people who work on the ship as volunteers, except for tips people give.  They may never figure out a way to convince everyone that their doctrine is correct.  But they can seek justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with you.  And, in the end, we need to be sure what we're thinking is doctrine truly is...anyone had any "flat world/round world" beliefs you've gotten hung up on?  I sure have!

At the end of the day, isn't that what matters?  Because the heart of the matter is this:  "For God so loved the world that he gave His only Son..."  Through my actions and words, may I go offer him to others too.

Saturday's Workout:  Firm Get Chisel'd Kick it Into Gear Quick Cardio Blast; Slim Series Express Cardio Sculpt

Sunday's Workout:  Cathe Low Impact Circuit Step Cardio premix

Monday's Workout:  Tracie Long Focus Kick Back; Tracie Long Focus Reach Further, Balance section only

Tuesday's Workout:  Rest Day

Wednesday's Workout:  Firm Burn and Shape

No comments:

Post a Comment