Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Okay, I said I'd dish about The Eagle some, so here it is.  This is the story of a Roman regiment that was lost in Britain, along with a gold Eagle, a prized symbol of Rome.  The son of the commander who led the regiment comes to command in Britain, hoping to somehow figure out what happened to his father and find the eagle.


To me, the engaging part is his relationship with his slave.  After being hurt heroically and discharged from the army, he goes to live with his uncle in another part of Britain.  He sees a slave acting heroically during a fight with a gladiator and encourages the crowd to save him. His uncle then purchase the slave named Esca for him, who pledges his loyalty to the Roman young man.


Esca's family was killed by Roman soldiers, in fact the 9th regiment we later learn.  He hates all that Marcus, the Roman, stands for.  Marcus hates the residents of Northern Britain who probably killed his father.


Yet, their friendship, respect, and loyalty unfold in the film, often in spite of the two of them.  The ending is powerful and left me thinking about relationships.


Am I willing to take people for who they are, not who their families were?  Am I willing to serve people who aren't always nice, out of my loyalty to Jesus, and his sacrifice to save MY life?  Am I willing to act out on my convictions and speak up, even when everyone in the crowd around me is shouting loudly for something else? 


All these things ran through my mind at the end of the film.  So God's serendipities, once again, can come in unexpected places.  Even in a local theater.


Today's workout:  PFH Move it (Cardio); Low Impact Fat Blaster section from 10 Minute Solution Rapid Results Fat Burner; PFH Body Balance (core and abs).

No comments:

Post a Comment