Monday, January 9, 2012

Took a few days off blogging~no real reason why, I just did.  We had a nice weekend although it rained quite a bit.  Saturday Tom was gone most of the day for meetings so I made a pot of chili and we hung out reading, etc. I did manage to walk Tucker in between showers and then Tom did too.


Yesterday we watched the Falcons get beat and Tim Tebow and the Denver Broncos win after church. Man, Tebow somehow keeps pulling out miracles.  I'm not big on watching professional football (especially with no Peyton Manning this year, my favorite) but do like the playoffs.  It poured most of the day and Wes had a friend over so it was a good day for a nap, which I indulged in.


Today we hit the school work again. It was sunny most of the morning and afternoon before the showers are coming back today through Thursday. Sigh.  Oh well, we must need rain!!  So I walked Tucker right before lunch.  Wes is reading a book on Orville and Wilbur Wright to do a longer report on and we went over the first Biology lesson he did in his new book.  He studied Astronomy most of the first semester and now is on to Biology.  Maddie studied General Science last semester and now is studying Earth Science so we started that.  The best news is I found both text books (from a Christian viewpoint while solidly scientific and thorough) and the companion workbook/lab books at our new Goodwill and paid less than $5 for both sets.  WooHoo, I love a good bargain.


Tyler and I did some Story of the World for his history and he worked in his new Saxon Math book.  I've had it for a while (again, a thrift store find) but we simply didn't push math "quite" as hard last semester, using a workbook and working on memorization of times tables.  This is push semester for math for him.


So, I tried to give you an idea of how we study things.  Some things we get interested in and go with.  Sometimes we need a push and use www.everythinghomeschooling.com to help.  Other things we do steadily or change up mid-year~or even mid-week, lol.  It's the process of learning that matters WAY more to me than the materials for sure.


Tonight is the big National Championship Football game against LSU and Alabama.  Since Wes is an LSU fan I've become one too and we're rooting hard, although surrounded by Crimson since we live only 20 miles from the Alabama border and a couple of hours from the University of Alabama itself. Wes wanted pizza and some snacks so we've got the frozen pizza ready to go, lol, and some cheddar cheese Chex mix (Wes can't eat most salty snack foods due to his braces).  Wes is in his LSU shirt mom and dad gave him for Christmas and says I can wear his LSU jersey I found for him this fall (again, at a thrift store, detect a theme, lol).  I'll try to take a few pictures to post tomorrow.  We're hoping for a big win and an undefeated season so I'll just end the post for today with GEAUX TIGERS (and note my choice of purple ink, for the purple and gold Tigers).


Friday's workout:  10 Minute Solution Belly, Butt and Thigh Blasters, Ab Flab Fighter; Firm Tight Buns and Killer Legs; 5 minutes of yoga; walked Tucker for a mile.


Saturday~for a while I'm declaring Saturdays "Barefoot Workout Days" and taking the intensity down a wee bit on those days.  My body is asking me to do that.  So, I walked Tucker for a mile and did Molly Fox's Skinny Jeans Deep Flow Yoga.


Today's workout:  Firm Express Sculpt I workout (sculpting with 4 cycles of "bursts".)  The Firm Express workouts are only 20 minutes each and are built around cycles of 8 seconds of high intensity/12 seconds of recovery, repeated 4 times.  You do 4 sets of these.  It's supposed to burn fat quicker so you have to work out for a shorter amount of time.  It's definitely a nice change of pace.  I also did Jackie Warner's Xtreme Abs, Standing Portion. This is about 15 minutes of standing ab work using light weights~again, a nice change from crunches lying on your back.  I also did 5 minutes of yoga~hip openers and shoulder and neck stretches.  And, of course, the walk with the beastie boy, aka Tucker. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment