Thursday, January 26, 2012

Rainy day here but we've had fun in the McElroy house.  Here's a quick "list" of some things that have gone on today.


1.  Wes and I took Penny to the groomer to get her claws clipped.  Yes, she kvetched a lot and yes, it's the best $5 I've ever spent not to deal with the old gal, lol.


2.  Wes spent the day doing some writing and a lot of grammar, plus Astronomy.  Maddie worked on Life Science and pre-Algebra and Ty on grammar and math.


3.  It was big chore day so the kids did their dusting and bathroom cleaning.


4.  I ran an errand to pick up the dogs flea meds (since it's been 50-65 this January they definitely need it) and get some groceries at Walmart.


5. Maddie and Tyler walked Tucker in between rain showers.


6.  All three kids got a remote controlled motorcycle out and spent half an hour TORMENTING Tucker with it, lol. He ran around chasing it and barking at it~hilarious.


7.  Maddie, Wes, and I spent a lot of time doing laundry. Great rainy day project, right?


That's all the excitement you can probably stand to read about, LOL.  But all those little things add up to a life lived in the Presence of God that is more meaningful than all of the "big" events.  


Oh, and I wanted to share a bit of my philosophy of education here.  I wrote it quickly into an email to another homeschooling mom and decided to save it.



Totally agree with you that it's easy to fall into the trap of thinking that the world's goals are correct and their method of education is correct.  I actually disagree with both.  I want my children to know God and to make him known to others.  I want them to be able to communicate well, so they can share that love.  I want them to understand history and see how it's HIS story.  I want them to be able to understand the whys of mathematics and pursue them to the point they need to so they can fulfill whatever ministry or career God places in their hearts.  I want them to see how the world works because knowledge of scientific principles reveals the Creator and they can use that with others as well. All these goals have to drive our education of our children but it's hard because it's so counter-cultural.  

It's so easy to fall into the trap of letting everyone else DO our parenting.  Schools say to memorize, do things way to early, be "tolerant", etc.  That's why friendships like ours are so important~to remind us to follow the one who saved us, gave his life for us, and knows what makes our children tick. After all, He made them and is crazy about them!!

My philosophy doesn't have to be yours~it shouldn't be.  But I encourage you to think about what's important to you and take the steps to make the life and education of your child YOURS.  And above all, enjoy the process.  That's where the memories are made.

Today's workout:  Erin O'Brien's Kristi Yamaguchi Power Workout. 

No comments:

Post a Comment