Saturday, August 28, 2010

One of my favorite things about homeschooling is that my kids don't know that they're only supposed to "learn" in "school" during certain hours, and certain days of the week. Learning is becoming as natural as breathing, and I just love seeing this more and more as the years go by and we settle into learning at home.

Today Tyler had money burning a hole in his pocket to spend and where did he want to go? Barnes and Noble! My kids can stay there for hours, looking at books, reading them, and making dream lists of future things to learn and do.

But before I get into all of that, I have to relay a funny story. Tyler told me that if I'd take him to BN this morning, he would get up early and walk the dog with me. So, we slept in a little and about 8:30 started out to walk Rocky. Now keep in mind he weighs 60 plus pounds and is part Dalmatian. Well, on our walk, we noticed our small cat, Pickles (about 8 pounds, dripping wet) following us down the road. The road is very busy and he wouldn't go back home. My common sense told me to take him home and then continue the walk but to be lazy, I suggested we carry him and take a shorter walk. Well, Rocky got into a barking match with the one dog in the neighborhood he doesn't like (the dog bit him once, lol) and it scared Pickles who ran into a neighbor's back yard. Well, we found him and hauled him out. Then I told Tyler to walk Rocky and I'd carry Pickles, who was nervous and digging claws into Ty's arm. Rocky never lunges, etc on his lead. Until today, when he saw the same dog he dislikes again. He threw Ty to the ground and came out of his harness AND his collar!!! Somehow Tyler got Pickles and I got Rocky back into his lead and collar and we finished the walk. If you're wondering what happened to the other dog, Rocky ran at him, barking furiously, cornered him on his porch, and the two characters spent time sniffing one another's nether regions. DOGS!!!!!

The rest of the day was spent playing Mah Jong, which Tyler purchased with his money, doing laundry, running errands, fixing meals, cooking for tomorrow's church potluck, and generally hanging around the house reading books. And listening to the kids tell their Dad and I all the neat things they've learned in the last week!

Thank you God that your creation is so great that there is no end to all we can learn. May we NEVER forget that learning about you must be our number one priority, or nothing else makes sense. When we forget to put you first, we are like Rocky~we have big mouths that are used to show off to other "dogs." But what we end up being is all bark and no bite.

Today's workout: This is the start of my recovery week. I get to do some lighter, rejuvenating workouts now, yea!
20 Minutes of Athletic Cardio, from Cardio For Beginners with Petra Kolber
20 Minutes of Yoga from Yoga for Everyone with Hemalayyaa

No comments:

Post a Comment