Monday, August 29, 2011

Wow, did life get away from me last week or what???  Thursday we had a great day celebrating Tom's 50th birthday as a family.  Some buddies from his spin class at the Y took him to Panera Bread for breakfast; Maddie decorated the house; he got tons of Facebook messages, texts, cards, and calls.  The two of us went to Chick Fil A for lunch and he had some of his favorite foods and cake for dinner.


Friday we headed out to Atlanta and he had a nice dinner with his parents, sister and brother-in-law.  Then we went to Stone Mountain where Tom, the kids, Ernest (FIL), Leslie and Richard (SIL/BIL) did a sky hike (kind of a high ropes course).  This was followed by 18 holes of Putt-Putt.  We stayed in a wonderful hotel right in Stone Mountain (just Tom and I) that was a gift from my SIL.  We found a fabulous, inexpensive restaurant where we dined on Tilapia and some of the best salad I've ever eaten!


Saturday we had a wonderful buffet breakfast, ran errands, picked up the kids and ate lunch with Tom's folks, and got home around 5pm. Maddie had to babysit and Tom had to attend a function of a church member.  Yesterday we pretty much all crashed after lunch, lol.


Today the kids and I went to the grocery and library. We got some books we need to use for our school work for the week.


I will strive to be more consistent with my blogging this week, I do enjoy the reminders of what goes on and seeing the little and large evidences of God's faithfulness to us.


Workouts:  Thursday~Erin O'Brien PNR, Level 3; Denise Austin Hot Body Yoga, Yoga Sculpt(used light 2 pound weights).  
No formal workouts after that until today.


Monday~Karen Voight Slim Toning on a Ball (weight workout using the stability ball, works the core well with all the upper/lower sculpting moves); Denise Austin Hit The Fat Zones Pilates, Lower Body. Tonight will be some sort of yoga.  Early this morning I walked Tucker a mile to enjoy the cool 60 degree day before it hit 93 right now!!


What I'm reading:  Debra Waterhouse, Outsmarting the Midlife Fat Cell(http://www.amazon.com/Outsmarting-Midlife-Fat-Cell-Strategies/dp/0786884126/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1314650095&sr=1-1 )  When I went to the doctor I realized my weight had crept up a few pounds over the last year or so.  I'd not really changed my diet or exercise so  I've been pondering changes to make.  I have also been thinking about how Jesus and most of humanity has lived.  Lots of walking (not beat-yourself up cardio), lifting objects to keep your muscles fit and strong, regular work, etc.  And the problem had generally been eating enough food for all the exercise they did!


Along came the recommendation for this book. It's so encouraging. She recommends moderate cardio, moderate weights, and scaling back on the amounts of food while not denying yourself.  She also explores the physiology of WHY women gain weight, especially around their middles, at midlife and explains how the fat you gain helps produce estrogen. Once you've gone through the change, the need for the weight decreases and things do improve~thank goodness.  Her moderate approach and encouragement to accept ourselves and not try to look like 17 year old models is a breath of fresh air indeed!!


P.S.  Since I've made dietary changes to help improve my cholesterol some of my clothing is fitting a bit looser.  I wasn't happy about the high cholesterol but there is a silver lining I guess, LOL!!

No comments:

Post a Comment