Wednesday, December 26, 2012

We had a really nice Christmas. I enjoyed our trip to Atlanta and our church's Candlelight Christmas Eve Service. Christmas Day we watched A Christmas Carol (1999 version with Patrick Stewart, my favorite) together. And, it would not be Christmas in our house without watching A Christmas Story!!

We adults napped while the kids read, built Legos, listened to music, and had a fun Xbox tournament with friends they've made all over Georgia. Technology is great for helping the kids keep in touch with their friends!

In the evening we had some lovely center cut pork chops that had been slow cooked in a delicious apple cider salsa; broccoli, corn, baked potatoes, and bread. The culmination was a Candy Cane Pie (with a chocolate french silk base) that Tom had found at Aldi's for our dessert. (Aldi's is a discount grocers that is in Gainesville and is Tom's latest obsession).  While watching the movies, we also baked sugar cookies.  Yes, lots of  sweets but it's only one day a year.  

We also spent time on Christmas Eve doing devotions, lighting our Advent Wreath, and talking about how blessed our lives are because of Jesus.  He is everything, isn't he?

Now for some fun stuff.  I thought I'd do a little Christmas survey on my blog.  Take time to answer this questions for yourself~or send me your answers. Id' love to see them!!

Favorite Christmas Song/Album:  O Holy Night and O Come, O Come Emmanuel.  My favorite CD is one we got years ago from Franklin Graham's ministry. It has great songs on it you don't find a lot of other places, with unique arrangements. I love Carol of the Bells, One Small Child, I Wonder As I Wander, O Come, O Come Emmanuel, and Some Children See Him, to name a few.

Exercise on Christmas Day or take the day off?  Totally depends. This year Tom ran and I exercised and it was quite enjoyable.

What do you usually eat on Christmas morning?  The last 5 years we had French Toast made with a delicious Cinnamon Raisin Bread from Panera.  The nearest Panera Bread to us is in Gainesville so we got a frozen Monkey Bread from Walmart. It can be cooked in the oven or microwave and costs all of  $2.98 per loaf.  My dad had it for the kids several years ago at his house and they simply LOVE it. Tom and I had some homemade cinnamon pecan bread that a church member sent us too.

Favorite Holiday or Christmas Tradition?  I have several.  One is being home on Christmas day without traveling. Very laid back and so much fun. A second would be our Christmas Eve Candelight Church Service. I love having communion on this holy night and being in the church with only light from everyone's candles at the end while singing Silent Night.  I also love our week long adventure to stay with my family in Kentucky. I see them so rarely and this is a big treat for all of us.

Real Tree or Fake Tree?  Well, since I'm allergic to all pine trees...

Christmas Pajamas...yay or nay?  Yay just because they were a gift from my Mother in Law several years ago and I pretty much wear them all winter long.  I have one other pair of winter PJs but these are the warmest. Plus they have snowmen on them and I am crazy about snowmen!

Where do you spend the holidays?  Sort of already answered that. In Atlanta at my inlaws the weekend before Christmas; home on Christmas Eve and Day; Kentucky after Christmas at my parents' home.

Foods that you always have?  The dinner in Atlanta is very traditional~turkey, ham, cornbread dressing, squash casserole, sweet potato casserole, beans, dirty rice, rolls, and a frozen fruit salad to die for.  At home we usually have baked ham and french toast but tried something entirely different this  year and that was fun. At my parents, I always, always get authentic Scottish Shortbread made by my father....yummy!  

Favorite Sweet of the Season?  Hands down, Peanut Butter Cookies made with Hershey's Dark Chocolate Kisses (I made them gluten free this year and they were fabulous) and my dad's Shortbread.  (I'm allergic to wheat and there is so much of it around at this time of year. That's why Maddie did the PB cookies gluten free for me and they were wonderful~and saved me a few sneezes and headaches in the process).  :D

Open Presents on Christmas Eve or Day?  Christmas Day.

Favorite Christmas Movie?

Goofy:  Scrooged; Christmas Vacation
Literary:  A Christmas Carol
Family Tradition:  A Christmas Story
Animated:  Rudolph

Favorite Christmas Book or Story?

Short Story:  Agatha Christie's The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding

Classic:  Dicken's A Christmas Carol

Other:  Agatha Christie's Hercule Poiroit's Christmas

Exercise:  Here's what I've done since Sunday.

Sunday:  LBN Strength Workout; Firm Get Chisle'd Cardio (15 minute)

Monday: LBN Metabolic Cardio (intervals)

Christmas Day:  Firm Get Chisel'd (weight workout)

Today:  Karen Voight Steady State, lower impact cardio day wtih Quick and Slim Cardio and Complete Sleek Cardio.




No comments:

Post a Comment