Friday, December 10, 2010

I remember a book, I think by John Steinbeck, titled Travels with Charley.  I never read it, but know it was about life with his dog, Charley.  Since yesterday was about our older dog, Penny, I thought I'd talk today about Rocky.

Rocky is about 3 1/2 years old.  He looks like a Dalmatian mix, but we have no idea what he is.  But he is wild!  And he loves to walk.  So every day, first thing after I read email and drink water, we walk.

At first I was resentful of the demand on my time. Plus, he doesn't do what I call a fitness walk.  He has to  stop to sniff a lot, visit with other dogs, and lift a leg at tons of trees and weeds. 

But over time, I've come to treasure these moments.  Since I don't drink coffee, this bit of me time wakes me up. Sometimes I talk to God while we walk.  Sometimes I think through problems or relational issues.  Sometimes I just let my mind wander and enjoy the knowledge that Rocky is in the lead and knows the way to get us home. 

It's not like it's that long of a time to be out.  We walk roughly a mile to a mile and a quarter and at his stop and go pace, we're still home in 20 minutes or so.  Looking back, these are some of the best 20-25 minutes of my day.  Things are quiet. I can hear my own thoughts.  I'm slowing down, letting someone else lead.  And, I'm feeding my mind, body, and spirit.

So thanks, Rocky.  The gift of time with the Lord you have given me in 2010 can't be measured.  And I'll tell you something else you rarely hear:  You're a good dog. 

Today's workout:  KCM 30 MTF Bootcamp, Cardio Premix

PM Yoga:  YBB Pajama Time

No comments:

Post a Comment